Tuesday 10 July 2012

CARNIVALE

A few days in the country watching the abandoned windmills, haunted houses engulfed by bearded trees, cows wallowing in mountain river etc. fly passed my window in the front seat, coupled with the copious amounts of folk and blues I willingly subjected my ears to, namely this favourite by Neil Young, have seriously got me dream wielding about my life in a travelling circus. Yesiree.

I have always found the lure of the Vaudeville circus hypnotic in my dreams, rekindling the light of the lost dancer in me. I dance, on a broken stage, twirling batons of fire, a crowd of misfits watching in silence, enchanting but somewhat macabre as the circus always is. I imagine the vision unfolding somewhere in the deep south, Bob Dylan has just rode by on a horse, there are giraffes and dwarfs, strong men and knife throwers, caravans with gypsies and fortune tellers.. a bit like this, and I'm wearing a dress adorned in sequins and these Vivienne Westwood shoes (if you are out there somewhere, please make your way to me, thank-you). The bearded trees are there, feris wheels covered in ferns, fairy lights, raucous laughter, debauchery... And then I wake up! 

I think this shoot from Lula styled by the fabulous Leith Clarke somewhat captures it. 








Photo taken by James Boehmer from the Lula Scrapbook


No comments:

Post a Comment